Friday, April 27, 2012

Duck Egg Kale Frittata

I have been buying my eggs from a new farmer for the past few months. I always notice that he has duck eggs but I was apprehensive about trying them. I finally took the plunge and I am glad that I did. They are bigger than chicken eggs but I found out that (compared in weight) duck eggs have more vitamins, minerals than chicken eggs! They do have a slightly higher fat and cholesterol count but I am not really worried about that. Overall, I think they have a more distinct flavor than chicken eggs. I would buy them again!

I made this frittata with the leftovers that I had from making the kale stew. It was delicious. I think kale and eggs pair nicely together. Try it!

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS

  • 5 Duck eggs
  • 5 leaves of kale, stems removed and chopped finely
  • 1 veggie sausage, cut in half lengthwise and diced (I used sun-dried tomato Tofurky brand)
  • 1 clove of garlic, chopped finely
  • 4 mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/4-1/2 of a medium onion, diced
  • Parmesan, shredded-1/3-1/2 cup (I like a lot of cheese but you use as much as you want)
  • Half and half (approximately 1 tablespoon)
  • Salt and pepper-a pinch or 2 
  • Olive Oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix duck eggs together in a bowl. While beating eggs pour in half and half and mix until combined. Coat a cast-iron skillet with plenty of olive oil. Heat oil in the skillet on medium heat. Add onions and cook for approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add mushroom, sausage and kale, saute a few minutes, until kale cooks down, add more oil, if needed. Add the eggs, half of the Parmesan salt and pepper. Mix everything together and cook for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle the top of the frittata with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Place skillet in the over and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the top starts to brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Serve with hot sauce and leftover baguette.     

No comments:

Post a Comment