Warm Butternut and Chickpea Salad with Tahini Dressing
Recommended by the lovely Shannon, Found on Smitten Kitchen, Adapted from Orangette, who adapted it from Casa Moro (whew!)
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients for salad:
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- black pepper to taste
Ingredients for Tahini Dressing:
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely minced with a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons well-stirred tahini
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the butternut squash, garlic, allspice, olive oil, and a few pinches of salt. Toss the squash pieces until evenly coated. Roast them on a baking sheet for 25 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Meanwhile, make the tahini dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic and lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Add the tahini, and whisk to blend. Add the water and olive oil, whisk well, and taste for seasoning. The sauce should have plenty of nutty tahini flavor, but also a little kick of lemon. You might need to add more water to thin it out.
- Carmelize the onions in olive oil, then add the chickpeas to the pan to cook.
- To assemble the salad, combine the squash, chickpeas, onion, and cilantro or parsley in a mixing bowl. Either add the tahini dressing to taste, and toss carefully, or you could serve the salad with the dressing on the side. Serve immediately.