Sunday, July 1, 2012

Carrot, Dill & White Bean Salad



So... after a week of 90 degree days, it's definitely summer salad weather! And after enjoying all the delicious salads the Detroit ladies made last weekend (Colleen and MB, I'm looking at you...), I decided to try a few recipes out this week. 


101 Cookbooks has been my go-to lately, and she didn't disappoint with this recipe for a Carrot, Dill & White Bean salad. I made this last night for the first time after a day at the beach. And it was awesome! Super easy to prepare, filling, and had some different flavors than the salads I usually make (I never think about warm carrots). I let this stand unit it came down to room temperature, which was perfect. 


Enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • The juice from 1 large lemon
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine grain salt
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (I used a bit more)
  • more olive oil for cooking
  • 2 cups sliced carrots, cut 1/4-inch thick on deep bias
  • 3 cups cooked white beans
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
  • 2 tablespoons honey (or brown sugar) (start small and add to taste)
  • 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Directions

  1. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and shallots in a small bowl. Stir and set aside. 
  2. In a large skillet over medium high heat, toss the carrots with a splash of olive oil. Let them cook in a single layer — they'll give off a bit of water at first. Keep cooking, tossing gently every 3 to 4 minutes until the carrots are deeply browned. About 12 minutes total. 
  3. Add the beans and dill to the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the beans have heated through. You may need to add a bit more olive oil to the pan. 
  4. Place the contents of the skillet in a large mixing bowl, add a bit of honey. I started small and tasted as I went since I didn't want it to be too sweet. 
  5. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, shallot mix. Toss gently. Let sit for 10 minutes. 
  6. Toss once again, taste and adjust with more salt, honey or lemon juice to taste/balance flavors. 
  7. Finish by sprinkling toasted almonds just before serving. (I forgot to do this and was sad, it would have been good with them for sure.) 
  8. Serve warm or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment